Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Living Life on Hold 2

So my bags are packed todays the day.  Well it was supposed to be, but the universe likes to torture me test the strength of my heart physically and mentally.  Thursday I filled up the gas tank, I remember thinking that with as little driving I'd have to do over the next week most of that gas would be used on the trip.

Friday I walked behind my car and could help but smell gas.  My heart immediately sank this is what happened with my civic.  I smelled gas and found out the my gas tank was coming apart at the seam, it'd actually been hitting the muffler we had to replace the entire fuel system in that car.  I begrudgingly looked under my Mustang.  I noticed some seepage where the fuel line goes into the tank.  I busted out a google search and noticed that it's quite common on an 01 Mustang for the Fuel Filler Grommet to deteriorate. I went and bought the part that day.


It was a $20 part so I stopped by the closest Autozone and bought it.  I asked my Uncle (family mechanic) to check things out I'm not really into cars like him and I wanted to verify my deduction was right.  But no such luck I got blew off.  Well I quickly researched how to replace the part seemed easy enough.  Honestly it was pretty easy.  One small problem though.


The Fuel Filler Neck was also rusted all the way through.  I spent several hours trying to locate the part locally but nobody keeps it in stock and Junkyards don't tend to be open on Sunday, especially the Sunday before Labor day.  You'll notice in the photo it looks like someone shoved a garden hose in the pipes.  That was me.  The hose just fit in the pipe I needed to be able to get gas right?


Even now this fix looks like it should have worked to me.  I used some seal all on it I figure the hose inside connects the two sides allowing gas to flow the sealant would prevent spillage.


Luckily I suspected that it wouldn't be full proof the next day I put some gas in the tank, when I say some I paid for 16 cents and think that maybe a penny went into the tank.

I've now ordered the part via Amazon and it's slated to arrive no later than Friday at 6pm. A bit unfortunate as I vacate my apartment tomorrow, but at least its on the way and the delay isn't as long as it could have been.

I will say this about the ordeal it's a bitch to plan and plan and plan, only to be delayed through no fault of your own.  But as I can attest to (especially as of late) you gotta roll with the punches.



No comments:

Post a Comment