Thursday, August 28, 2014

Homie Don't Play That or Homie Don't Play That #TBT

For the past 6 years I've been a Radio DJ/Engineer for a station in Athens, Ohio.  Being a DJ can be incredibly fun most of the time.  This story is not inspired by one of those times.



August 8 2013 - I was assigned to work the fair, I'd liked doing it in the past so I had no problem telling my boss to let me do it again.  I was also training Lorenzo, a fella I'd known for a few years, on how to run station equipment and find his "radio voice".  Working a fair is a brilliant time for a DJ everyone wants you to do a favor for them, talk about their stand in return free food, play their song in return well nothing in return really but you'd give them six seconds of joy before the inevitably walk away.

There are three downsides.  The first, never start a landwar in Asia.



The second you will constantly get his on by girls under the age of whatever you deem the appropriate age to be hit on.



The third everyone is bat shit crazy.



Another problem is contests.  The people want what you got, even if it's something horrible they'll do anything to get it, that includes standing at the booth for 7 hours straight.  This night a woman approached the first one in the age range that was deemed acceptable to be hit on.  How'd she look you ask?  Honestly that first night I couldn't have told you.

See I had my sunglasses on.  Yes, sunglasses at night.  It was so I could, so I could look wherever I wanted or take a nap without being judged.  Lorenzo and I, or Lolo as he liked to call himself had already given all the tickets away for the evening but this women really wanted them she sat there talking to us for at least an hour playing with the buttons on her shirt.  It was nice finally someone our age, but the night was over and we left.


August 9 2014 - Early in the afternoon the weather had been horrible 80 plus degrees and then about halfway through the afternoon, a storm like you wouldn't believe lightening struck at one point and left that smell, the same smell when you start a small electrical fire at the radio station and just sit their desperately hoping it'll catch and burn the place down but doesn't, it smelled like that.  The rain had cut the temperature in half that night instead of getting hot and muggy it got cool real cool too cool.  The woman came back up earlier that day.  She wore something even more low cut the day before, I didn't think it was possible but she'd pulled it off.  Lorenzo could barely contain himself in the back.  She was one of those women that liked to be looked at so this time I took the sunglasses off.  She won the tickets.


She wasn't a dame to die for but she was better than the 15 year olds that had been hitting on us.  Lorenzo had driven that night, I'd gotten jammed up and my car was taken away, somehow Lorenzo let this all slip.  She offered me a ride home but Lolo and I had to go back to the station, we still had work to do.

Time ticked away like rain tapping on the windshield of the car I couldn't drive.  One night I get this message on The Facebook.  It was her, I don't know how but she'd found me, like Marty I should've run but I didn't.  This broad was throwing herself all over me, it was different usually I wasn't the mouse in the cat and mouse game of relationships.  Things progressed I gave her my number we started texting.  Then she started begging for it.  Yes that it.  Not even slightly exaggerating after two days of texting she was asking me to meet up for sex, my spidey sense would be going off the charts, well they would if I'd been bitten by a radio active spider and in doing so absorbed it's powers.  She started sending nudes and going down a very distinct style of text messaging.  It'd been a month since the fair and are third day of texting when the bells in my head did finally start to go off.  I knew nothing about her, very quickly she took things off of The Facebook and onto the text message.  I looked up her profile, two kids... Kids where was the dad?  It was difficult to figure out I finally figured out who the kids grandmother was because she'd been uploading the pictures.

She was his mother.  The husbands mother. As in STILL MARRIED.  If only I'd been a Detective in one of those Noir films the ones where they talk funny in the narration, over expressing some of the details relating things to things that didn't matter, and using commas, where they didn't quite fit, if I'd been that guy I'd have realized all the warning signs were there she was married.



Homie don't play that, I told her it was over, I'd known people in this situation before, not happening.  She boohooed about how he was a douche and she was leaving him when she got the money together for her apartment.  I expressed my kudos if that's what she wanted she should go for it, but I was done like the end of a midnight cigarette.  She'd thrown herself at me hard, I was proud that my head had won out.

THE END

Wait what?

Midnight The Night I called it off -  It was actually past midnight closer to 3am when the phone rang, I dislike talking on the phone, so many ums and uhs, you cut that out most of my calls would be 3 minutes, they never are.  It was her number, what the hell did she want, why the hell did I answer?  I suppose it was to tell her off one last time get it into her head it was done, I dunno why I answered.  When I did it wasn't her voice, "I'm going to fuck you up, she's my..." I don't remember what he said a lot about kicking my ass,  most of it actually his buddies would kick my ass.  This man was a moron, I could tell from the start, now I don't blame him for being angry, I'm sure I would be too,  but the anger seemed misplaced like all the items next to the price checker at Walmart. He was mad at me, I'd never touched his wife, sure she'd sent me some photos and made some suggestions of what I should do "when we met" but we never had, in fact as soon as I found out about him I called the whole thing off, which I told him, repeatedly.  I made one last appeal trying to explain my side of the situation, but no luck.  He said he was going to beat me up at the station, "beat you up" his own words like we were back in high school.  I told him that he couldn't do it at the radio station it's a felony, as a broadcaster if he beat me up he could coerce me into in-sighting a panic, I think some politicians should take a look into this theory, but it was made up more creative than a dime store novel.

Weeks turned into Months, I'd strategically placed a ball bat in case he or his friends ever decided to show up. As promised I'd never had contact with either of them again.

Until...

Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion next week.


As Always Like Click Share.







No comments:

Post a Comment