Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hall of Pain #TBT

As should be aparent from some of the #TBT's I'm a wrestling fan, though lately I've not been able to keep up.  Back when I had more of a disposable income I used to go several events a year.  I've sat all over the buildings and it's not worth it unless you're within the first 5 rows of the floor or lower bowls.


This particular story took place on a Monday Night Raw back near 2004.  I typically go with one of two cousins as we were this particular evening. The event was in Cleveland Ohio which is 200 miles one way.  We arrived around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, we'd never been to a show in Cleveland and had no idea how long it'd take to arrive.  Unfortunately the gates didn't Open till 7.  We decided to go to the Rock N Roll hall of fame.  All I remember about it is that we weren't their early enough for the entrance fee to be worth the short amount of time we'd have to spend inside.


Annoyed we began to walk around the city, a city that smelled like crap.  I don't know if we picked the wrong day or what but no matter where we went the strong odor of crap filled my nostrils, it was not pleasant.  Also no matter where we were the wind was right in our faces, we'd deliberately make turns to get out of the wind with no luck at all.  Finally we entered the arena.


Now often before Raw is shown on USA live they'll tape some matches for other lesser shows or just have some matches to get the crowd ready.  This particular night they had a match that was not aired.  Mark Henry vs. some guy trying out to get a job.


He's a big guy and at this time he was playing the bad guy.  My cousin and I had paid a fair amount to have ramp seats (along the wrestlers entering).  The guys behind us were being assholes, we were all of 15 minutes into the event and they'd already gotten on our nerves, bumping into us, yelling stupid stuff just to annoy whoever walked by etc.) Mark comes walking up the ramp and we were near the back of the ramp so we look over and we are at foot level (Some of the divas should take into account these seats when deciding what they wear when not wrestling)  The guys behind us hold out this huge tray of nachos (I was amazed at the size thinking they had to have charged like $30 for that thing) they yell at Mark "Hey loser maybe you should eat something" (intelligent) 

This is the exact look he gave.

I don't even know how I saw it coming all I remember is that I stood perfectly behind my cousin who was bigger than me. Mark kicks the nachos out of their hands it nails my cousin, i got a few  stray bits of cheese but nothing horrible.  My cousin however was drenched, his jersey ruined.  The clowns were thrown out, we explained to the guard they weren't with us and they had been asking for it (they thought we were together for some reason). So far this is how everyone should have reacted.

We asked the guard for a shirt or something, after all my cousin was covered.  We'd just driven 200 miles.  No Shirt.  What about a towel.  No Towel (we were never told why).  Now this is starting to slide into the rude section. Then every Heel (bad guy) wrestler that came out would look, point and laugh, including the owner of the WWE Vince McMahon who with his son Shane actually stopped walking down to take a minute to point an laugh really soaking it up.  



The owner of the company was aware of our plight.   Every time they cut to commercial they aired the whole thing on the screen.  I'd been cool with this if we'd gotten a damn towel.  We'd done nothing to deserve to be the laughing stock of everyone.  We pleaded with the guard once more about a shirt or towels, he informed us we could by a shirt for $30 at the souvenir stand.  My cousin had to use napkins and he was fairly soaked in Nacho cheese.   

It was funny and makes for a good story, it certainly helped Mark Henry get over as a bad guy that night.  I just wish that after it was all said and done we'd have gotten at least enough respect for a towel.


As Always Like Click Share


No comments:

Post a Comment