Thursday, July 3, 2014

#TBT The Illusion

When I was 21/22 I started to work at a movie theater.  It was probably one of the best jobs I've ever had, with the longest lasting friendships.  It, however, was not without issues.


Their were two managers I simply couldn't get along with one a female Liz  (we never could decipher the exact reasons for her dislike) one a guy who was pretty obviously jealous Jake.  Most of these stories will be about them.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent.



The first however is about Gary.  He was roughly my age and he very much looked like a weasel, so much so that we called him that, to his face.  He looked like a used car salesmen,  he's the guy in the horror movie that'd be all heroic and then lock you out when it counted most.  He used to tell us that his grandpa was a wrestler... whose signature move was the German Shizer  (I warn you don't look it up, only know that it is most definetly not a wrestling move) and that he showed him out to perfect it.  Once Gary had me cleaning the projection booth (because he was too lazy to do his own job).  He had me do the floors with an ammonia cleaning solution we were to use (I'm not sure why)  I did this unhappily.  Going to the projection area was always seen as management only, and so everything up there was for them to do.  Usually going upstairs was for a reward of some sort scour the old posters or to hang out.  It was annoying that it involved covering a managers work.  Gary insisted that the floors were not clean (white linoleum in a room that has the foot traffic of one person) he wanted them redone with bleach, I tried to explain the consequences (seriously he had no clue) he threatened to fire me for talking back.  What could I do?  I did the floor over very quickly with Bleach and got the hell out of there.  Gary quickly learned his lesson, nobody actually got injured but he didn't spend too much time up there after it was "clean".


So at the time of departure from this theater I had 23 write ups in a 2 year period at best.  This is to show you the amount of BS that were in these write ups I mean obviously the GM knew that most of them were nonsensical.

The night of our company christmas party (a night of bowling) everyone was off the theater had closed and the only reason anyone was their was to meet up.  One movie was still playing with a few people watching it.  Apparently a new schedule had bee posted for the following week so I began to make my way from the hallways to where the schedule hung behind the counter area.  Liz spotted me  "What are you doing"  I explained that I was checking the schedule and she went ballistic.  We were open how could I be behind the counter in street clothes.  I find it especially odd because I remember her carrying around a Victoria Secret's bag for most of the night (who does that in general let alone at work?)  I assumed it was an act everyone else had already done what I was doing, the concession counter was closed and the last movie had all of 5 minutes left.  She'd even started laughing afterwords.  She was not joking 5 minutes later I had a fresh new write up in my hands.  We were having a company party, all of my co workers had just done the same thing, and I got another write up?


Though the write up that takes the cake was given to me by Jake.  I don't remember the exact circumstances of what occurred.  It involved a co worker asking me something simple, maybe it was complex it doesn't matter the key point I guess is that I was asked and he wasn't.  I say this because on the write up under reason it said  "The Illusion of too much Power"  When I read that I knew I was destined for great things, though it seemed to imply I'd be the villain of the story.

I could never understand the statement.  I wasn't barking orders at anyone (if I were and they were being followed, is that not still good delegation?)  I could never wrap my brain around how what caused the write up shouldn't be seen as a good thing.  It's not like I went and sat in an office after telling one guy to do all the work... In fact the only reason I was being asked in the first place was because I was doing the opposite.  The whole thing cracked me up and too this day I consider that write up a badge of honor.  A manager was too stupid to see how ineffective he was, to see how dumb he was, and to basically see how I rendered him useless without ever intending or trying too.

As always LIKE CLICK SHARE


No comments:

Post a Comment