Thursday, August 14, 2014

What almost was #TBT

So it was 1999? (lets say that I feel that was the time period but I don't have the exact date though the more I think about it the longer back I imagine it was).  My parents had decided to go on vacation, we often traveled when i was 11-17 usually going at least somewhere every summer.  Usually somewhere I didn't want to be  Branson, MO (country music retirement mecca of the world) Orlando, FL (it was fun the year we went to Universal after that not so much) Pigeon Forge, TN (to young to enjoy).  This particular intense we went to Nowhere Texas,  I say nowhere because it wasn't a big city, it was nowhere litterally we drove through desert found a patch of trees and that was where we stayed.


Now on this particular trip we did go to some sights, The Roy Rogers memorial museum in somewhere Oklahoma, and perhaps Six Flags (I've been to Texas twice and don't remember if it was this time or the other) but nothing left the impression on me quite as much as the travelling rodeo we saw.

Hmm apparently you can't find a music video or a lyric video for Garth Brooks "Rodeo"

We had horses the entire time I was growing up, I wouldn't call myself an equestrian but I know enough to not get thrown off.  This particular rodeo was famous for a specific type of horse (I can't recall now) and they boasted being world famous.

Pretty sure it was not these

I remember the area great it was a little prarie encompassed with trees and one tree right next to the arena to give shade to the audience.  The stables were on the opposite side.  Something about the rodeo just bored me it seemed slow or mundane or something so I asked my mom and dad about looking through the stables.
In the stables I ran into this girl and we talked for what felt like hours (I assume it was 10-15 minutes or I hope my parents would have grown more concerned) eventually we did part ways I'd heard the rodeo end. It's hard to remember her now brunette, my height at the time, slightly older than me.We were about to enter the car when an old man (I hope now it was her grandfather) He looked like the guy on Frozen (yes I've seen Frozen) only fatter.



Right there he asked my parents if I could stay, asking if I'd like to travel with them for six months helping out in the stables.  I think both my parents were quite shocked I hadn't even had time to tell them about the girl I'd met (though I tended not to tell them much about anything after a rather rude joke from my father at some point in my youth(before or after this I don't recall))  I told them I'd like to do it to which my father just kind of gasped "You don't even do anything with the horses at home".  My mother was concerned about the normal things, school, how I'd get home, not knowing these total strangers.

It was a surreal experience, like Danny explaining the summer love in grease (ok actually more like the girl explaining it)  a ten minute summer romance.

Well it didn't quite go this far.

It was the best part of Texas.  It makes me wonder though can the same types of things happen as adults?  Like not a one night stand something more but just as short and meaningful?  I doubt it.

Hey look at that a #TBT that's not completely a reverse Lifetime movie like most of the women I post about.  Which is a shame considering I don't even remember her name.  Me a cowboy.  Almost.


As always Like Click Share

No comments:

Post a Comment